• What: A sheltered, rooftop wooden terrace, overlooking the Dotonbori river and offering a do-it-yourself BBQ experience. Run by the owners of the Dublin Bay Irish Pub, it’s located in the basement of the same building.
• Go for: A private party or small gathering, or just to enjoy a pint of Guinness in the sun. Get 10 of you together (with the all-you-can-drink plan) and you can even bring your own BBQ ingredients.
• Address: Osaka, Chuo-ku, Dotonbori 2-1-5 Zelkova Due 7F
• Tel: 06-6213-1122
• Price: All-you-can-drink ¥2,500 (¥2,000 for women) for 2 hours; BBQ set (assorted meats and grills, salad) ¥2,000 per person
• Capacity: 30–40
• Open: 3pm–late.
• Access: Namba sta.
• What: A Tahitian summer BBQ featuring a fabulous spread of mains and salads, as well as a dessert buffet thrown in. Set on the hotel’s 9th floor pergola, it also boasts great views over Osaka bay.
• Go for: A resort-feel BBQ experience with top-notch fare that’s away from the hubbub of the city. Great for families.
• Address: 1-13-11 Nanko-Kita, Suminoe- Ku, Osaka, Japan, 559-0034
• Tel: 06-6614-7817
• Price: Adults ¥6,500; children ¥2,500
• Open: Until Sep 16. Weekdays 5:30pm– 10pm; Sat, Sun, hols 5pm–10pm
• Access: 3 min walk from New Tram Nakafuto Station. Free shuttle bus from JR Osaka every 30 mins. See website for details.
• Url: osaka.regency.hyatt.com
• What: Enjoy a mediterranean-style BBQ with delicious meze starters and salads in the stylish surrounds of this Takashimaya rooftop restaurant in the heart of Namba.
• Go for: Food served at your table and a fun self-service bar where you can mix your own cocktails and pull your own beers.
• Address: Osaka, Chuo-ku, Namba 5-1-18, Namba Dining Maison 8F (inside Takashimaya dept store)
• Tel: 06-6633-1445
• Price: ¥5,000 incl. 2 hours all-you-candrink
• Open: Until Sep 30. Everyday, 5:30pm– 9pm (Last entry)
• Access: Namba station
• Url: absinthe-jp.com
Hankyu Top Beer Garden
• What: Located on the roof of the Hankyu terminal building in Umeda, this 1,000 seater beer garden offers all-you-caneat and drink without any time constraints (well, within opening hours anyway).
• Go for: The chance to drink ‘till you drop with 1,000 potential friends
• Address: Osaka, Kita-ku, Shibata 1-1-4, Hankyu Terminal Bldg rooftop
• Tel: 06-6375-1780
• Price: ¥3,800 adults, ¥2,000 children (4–12 yrs old)
• Capacity: 1,000
• Open: Until Sep 22. Weekdays 5:30pm– 9pm; Sat/Sun/hols 5pm–9pm
• Access: Umeda sta.
• Url: hankyu-hotel.com
• What: Island-resort themed fun, featuring a fun lineup of entertainment, set on the rooftop (17th floor) of the Ramada Hotel in Nakatsu.
• Go for: Cold beers, quality food and either Balinese dance, belly dance, samba or even a drag queen show if you time it right. See website for schedule.
• Address: 3-16-19 Toyosaki Kita-Ku, Osaka, 531-0072
• Tel: 06-6372-8181
• Price: All-you-can-drink for 2 hours ¥2,500. Food separate, with BBQ sets from ¥5,000 for 3 people
• Open: Until Oct 5. Weekdays 6pm– 10:30pm; Sat & Sun 5pm–10pm
• Access: Nakatsu sta.
• Url: ramada-osaka.com
• What: Outdoor terrace dining at a vibrant, convivial Mexican restaurant in Namba. Enjoy all-you-can-drink and a tasty range of all-you-can-eat Mexican favourites including tacos, burritos and their signature roast chicken with salsa.
• Go for: Latin grooves, authentic mouth-watering cuisine and free-flowing margaritas.
• Address: ZELKOVA TRE 5F, 2-1-8 Dotonbori, Chuo-ku, Osaka
• Tel: 06-6212-6766
• Price: ¥4,000 for 2 hours
• Capacity: 20–30
• Open: Until Sep 1. Weekdays 5pm–9pm; Sat & Sun 12pm–10pm
• Access: Namba sta.
Senri Hankyu Hotel Poolside Beer Garden
• What: Outdoor dining with a carnival vibe thanks to dance performances (Wed/ Thur nights), an enormous resort-style pool, plus no time limit all-you-can-drink and buffet. Look out for the glamorous ‘beer girls’ serving drinks to grinning male patrons.
• Go for: The attractive poolside setting and great variety of food.
• Address: 2-1 Shinsenri Higashimachi, Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture 560-0082
• Tel: 06-6871-2416
• Price: ¥3,900 adults, ¥1,500 children (3–12 yrs old)
• Open: Until Sep 30. Weekdays 5:30pm–9pm; Sat 5pm–9pm; Sun/hols 5pm–8:30pm
• Access: Senri-chuo sta.
• Url: hankyu-hotel.com/hotel/senrihh/ other/beer
Sogo Sky Beer Garden
• What: Beer garden on the roof (10th floor) of Sogo department store in Sannomiya, offering hot-pot nabe dishes and a kids food corner on top of the standard buffet.
• Go for: The nabe dishes!
• Address: Kobe Chuo-ku Onoe-dori 8-1-8
• Tel: 078-221-4181
• Price: ¥3,500 men; ¥3,000 women; ¥1,000 kids 3–12 years
• Open: 5:30pm–10pm; Sun 5pm–10pm.
• Access: Sannomiya Sta.
ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe Beer Garden
• What: A luxurious garden terrace (10th floor), sweeping views of Kobe, and a gentle sea breeze.
• Go for: The views!
• Address: 1-Chome, Kitano-cho Chuo-ku Kobe, 650-0002
• Tel: 078 291 1121
• Price: ¥2,500 for 2 hours all-you-candrink. Premium BBQ sets and a la carte food options available.
• Open: Until Sep 22. Weekdays 6pm– 9:30pm; Sat, Sun and hols 5pm–8:30pm
• Access: Shin-kobe sta.
• Url: anacrowneplaza-kobe.jp
• What: Asahi-sponsored venue on the roof of Takashimaya department store, serving beer delivered direct from the Asahi brewery in Suita and a buffet spread of beer garden favourites such as yakisoba noodles and karaage fried-chicken. • Go for: No time limit drinking and all the fried food you can stomach, smackbang in the center of Kyoto.
• Address: 600-8520 Kyoto, Shimogyoku, Shijo-dori, Kawaramachi nishi-iri, Shincho 52 • Tel: 075-221-8811
• Price: ¥3,500 (¥3,200 women) all-youcan- drink / all-you-can-eat
• Open: Until Sep 23; 5:30pm–10pm
• Access: Hankyu Kawaramachi Sta, Keihan Gion-Shijo Sta.
• Url: takashimaya.co.jp/kyoto
Kyoto Tower Hotel Beer Garden
• What: All-you-can-drink and buffet dining at the top of the Kyoto Tower Hotel, underneath the spire of the tower itself.
• Go for: Great views, tasty buffet and snap-happy memories.
• Address: 600-8216 Kyoto, Shimogyoku, Karasuma Shijo, Higashi Shiokojicho 721-1, 8F
• Tel: 075-361-3212
• Price: ¥3,500 (until Aug 31), ¥3,000 (from Aug 31–Sep 30)
• Open: Until Sep 30; 5:30pm–9pm • Access: Kyoto sta.
• Url: kyoto-tower.co.jp